Monday, April 25, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Boy did I have a great trip home this weekend! It was full of blessings, family, friends, chocolate, and great music!

Let me start by saying that God is so so faithful! It never ceases to amaze me that through my abounding selfishness, pride, and doubt, Christ has never kept me wanting. I would've slapped me in the face, and walked away years ago! I guess it's good that I'm not the Savior! In order for me to go home this weekend, I was depending on a check in the mail. I was under an extremely uncertain impression that I would be receiving my AT&T deposit before I left town. Ergo, I made plans publicly, and crossed my fingers secretly. Then I realized that it would be foolish to put my faith in the mailman! (I once sent a card to my brother and it took 3 1/2 weeks to get there! Come on now.) Instead, I prayed that God would provide for me as He has always done. And wouldn't you know it, 3 days before I leave town, I got a check in the mail :)


I left work a couple hours early on Thursday to try and miss all the storms on the way home. I successfully avoided all tornadoes, but as I struggled to see the car in front of me through the torrential downpour that they insisted on referring to as a "shower",  I suddenly realized I left my life jacket at home. *Note to self- Bring a life boat on next trip. We don't need a Jack and Rose situation on our hands. Let's face it Jack, you didn't stand a chance.


Friday night, a group of us drove up to Lawrence for the Civil Wars concert. Let me just say that it was the best concert I had ever been to! I have to admit that it even beat the Nsync concert that left me awe for 2 days when I was 12. The concert was at The Bottleneck, and I loved the atmosphere! The peculiar mix of excitement and composure seemed to fit the crowd well, as everyone fell silent during each song. You could here a pin drop. In my case it would have to be a fountain pen. My hearing isn't what it used to be. But the point is, that the whole way home, the seven of us had no words to describe what we had all just experienced. Honest-True-Simple-Blowing your mind-Music.


They make such a great team! Photo by Anthony Fiorillo.


Saturday we colored Easter Eggs! My little Sister Riley and little bro Nic did a fair job, but I was pretty impressed with my abilities ;)


Okay, Okay, they may have done a slightly better job. But that's not the point.


That night I got the opportunity to hang out with some good friends, and had a blast! Isn't it odd that the simple things in life can make you the happiest? We went to dinner at Old Chicago, and spent the rest of the night sitting in the kitchen and making up songs on the guitar. Just like old times. Matt even gave me an old mirror, providing me with my next DIY project! I will have before and after pics as soon as my creative bug bites, showing me what I want to do with it!


Sunday brought Easter, and I loved celebrating my Risen Savior with my family! My Dad, brother Brandon, and Ashley joined me at Journey The Way, and  it was fun letting them in on that part of my life!


My Dad even brought me a Cocoa Dolce Easter Basket! I am trying savor each bite, as I know how much my Dad valued his arm and leg before he bought me this yummy treat! He may say otherwise, but I would say it was worth it. Yes, the Raspberry one is already gone....


I finished off my weekend with lunch at my Momma's house where the Easter Bunny had made an additional visit! We ate lunch (Chocolate), watched Tron (took naps), and decided to have our previously mentioned game night, next time (Sad). It was a great time! On the way home, I stopped by Sonic to get a Strawberry Slush and they even gave Daphne a treat!

Turns out she is a big fan of ice cream!


Then she fell asleep next to her "Baby." She was tuckered out after such a big weekend!


On another note, I need your help/advice. You know how it is human nature to want what you can't have? Well, I am struggling with this dilemma. Can your feelings be genuine in this case, or is it more likely that you are just wanting a challenge, and as soon as you accomplish it, your objective quickly turns to the next unattainable dream? Let's say that someone offers you a cookie. It's a good cookie. Nothing wrong with it. It is even still a little warm from the oven. Anybody would be lucky to have this cookie! But you politely reject the cookie, saying no thank you. Maybe you just ate. Maybe you aren't in the mood for a cookie. But then, you see them give their cookie to somebody else and you suddenly start craving a cookie! Do you take the cookie away from her? Maybe wait to see if she even decides she wants the cookie. What if you take the cookie away and then realize you are more in the mood for pie?? Then, thanks to you, all three of you go hungry. What should I do with the cookie?? Maybe it's not my cookie to do anything with.


Thoughts?


Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. I'd eat the cookie to begin with. But I just like cookies.

    It is human nature to want what you feel like you can't have and to choose to keep something just because you're scared that if you don't take it you'll lose the chance. It's called fear of loss motivation. We humans are a very selfish bunch. We take because we think we want and we want just simply because we can! It's like when your 'eyes are too big for your stomache'. You think well I might not want it now but I might in the future.
    What we really need to do is to take time to pray for discernment. We need to make sure we are asking the right questions of God and being open to the answer even if it's not what we want to hear. Lord, do I need this? Is this something that will benefit not only my walk with you but how will it then effect others? We need to put our wants and desires on a very very far back burner and think about what is truely best.
    Our lives will be full of our wants and they will change constanly. We are sinful and fickle human beings and therefore we need to wait on the Lord and learn to be content in what He's given. Happiness doesn't come from getting what we want, but from wanting what we have already been given. Be content in what you have, consistent in your prayers, and constant in your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! Great blog! Your puppy is so cute?

    And about your question:

    If we're talking metaphorically? I think it's human nature for people to want what they don't have.

    Now if we're talking literally? Take the cookie and eat it with the pie. Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, thanks for your sweet comment on mine! Your Easter sounds lovely.
    xo
    Erin

    pinkandpolos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a brother named Brandon....(random boring comment)

    ReplyDelete