Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Joplin Tornado

Tornado. The word alone has always terrified me. I’m from Kansas, so although I have never been in a tornado, I have had my fair share of “close calls.” Ever since I was a kid I would get sick to my stomach if we were under a tornado warning. Oddly enough, I will get so worried, that my body starts to shut down, and I start falling asleep wherever I am. Haha is that normal?? (Joe says it’s not!)

Sunday evening, I was at Joe’s house in Neosho, when I received a call from my Dad warning me that there was a really bad storm headed towards Joplin. We turned on the tv just in time to hear warnings that a tornado was probably producing, but that it would not be visible because it would be so rain wrapped. (I only threw up a couple times!) As they said this, we were watching a tornado on their tower cam! Joe and I just stared as we watched this massive black cloud hit power lines and shoot blue sparks everywhere….

Before we knew it, it was over, and 35% of Joplin was wiped out. The death toll is at 117 and counting. Many many people are still missing as well, some of which I know myself. I was overwhelmed by the number of my Wichita friends and family who called to check on me! Thank you guys so much for your support and prayers! I was very lucky to have my family and friends safe! Our home was spared, and my Uncle Audie’s business was missed as well!

I couldn’t get to work yesterday because of all the closed roads, so Joe and I went and volunteered at the main shelter. We sorted and folded clothes and did whatever we could to help. I was so glad that he was there with me. I really don’t think that I would be able to handle everything by myself. He has been so supportive and comforting the past few days! I did good when I picked him : ) We finally left when we were approached by a lady and her husband asking for directions. Their faces were cut up, but they appeared to be okay. She said that they didn’t want to leave because they were waiting to identify their children at the morgue.

My heart sank.

I looked at the husband who made eye contact with me, and then he immediately looked down at the ground. How does this happen?? My heart was broken, and I felt sick. I turned my head, angry and confused. She had said it so matter of factly. She didn’t sound sad (I’m sure it was very unreal to her still). She sounded mad. Why did this happen? Why could she keep her kids safe from strangers, and illness, and everything else that life throws out you, but in 3 mins flat, she loses her children to a storm. I was mad with her.

I’ve heard many stories very similar. One nurse was on the 6th floor of St. Johns hospital when they got the warning. They got everyone in the hallway and watched helplessly as the windows starting blowing out. Suddenly she say a 300 lb man get sucked out the window. Can you imagine??

A friend of mine works at Home Depot, which is no longer there btw. He got everyone in the back of the store, and then was sucked out of the back door. It threw him about 50 ft and dropped him into a ditch. From what I hear, he is bruised up, but okay!

The worst of what I’ve heard actually happened to a friend of mine. He is the nicest man you have ever met. I worked with him at Keller Williams and ran into him a month or 2 ago. We talked for almost 2 hours and most of that time was spent with him bragging about his son. I believe his sons name is Will. He was about to graduate HS and Mark was very proud of him for getting into a very prestigious film school in California. Sunday was his graduation, and afterwards, they were headed to meet the rest of their family for dinner. They were in Matt’s hummer, and when Mark watched Will get sucked out of the sunroof. Mark is in critical but stable condition, but is completely distraught. Will has yet to be found.

Please continue to pray for everyone hear in the area!

Here are a few pictures. The first one is the church I have been going to. Luckly it is just church with a little "c"!



No comments:

Post a Comment